Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sometimes I feel like a walking contradiction

Occasionally/nearly everyday I usually have at least one moment where I feel like a walking contradiction. It's basically the only way I can think of to describe myself. You're probably sitting there asking yourself what exactly is this cah-razy lady talking about. Well let me explain via a couple of examples...


I LOVE to travel. I mean I know that's extremely cliche, but I swear, I LOVE it! Not the whole packing/waiting in airport security lines and then being patted down like you're about to enter a maximum security prison whilst attempting to smuggle in an old-timey filing tool to dig your way out experience, but the whole seeing a different country/state/city and finding new hidden gems that you just can't get at home. I've been fortunate enough to travel to various countries/states/cities and have had some of the best experiences a girl could ask for. I use to think I wanted to travel for work and wouldn't mind living out of a suitcase, but I've come to realize this isn't exactly true. As much as I love to travel and be in a different place, I also love to be at home. Now if only I could clone myself and be in two places at once, this would not be a problem, but since this probably isn't going to happen, I am left feeling like a walking contradiction - I love to be away exploring, but am also a homebody.


This feeling even falls into my fashion style. I cannot explain the obsession I have with clothes (perhaps my husband could provide insight when he built me a second closet or my family while transporting my five bazillion pairs of shoes to my new home in grad school). I love wearing a new dress for the first time or finding that pair of perfect jeans (it's a difficult task that often seems impossible), but I can't help but explain my style as completely and utterly contradictory. If I had to put a label on it I might call it "old timey trendy." Yes, I realize this label doesn't make sense at.all. What I mean is I adore new trends and try to incorporate some part of them into my everyday wardrobe, but at the same time I love some of the classic and old-timey (yes I use this phrase way too much and blame it on my husband for calling me that on a fairly regular basis) pieces/fabric. For example, I have a dress I purchased that reminds me of an old Victorian lace dress, just cut of mid-thigh (like I said, old timey meets today). I often enjoy wearing this little number with some a-mah-zing heels. Not just some boring black pumps (although a wardrobe staple), but some gorgeous heels. Such as these beauties:

I do not actually own this beaut, although wish I did, but it would be the type of shoe I pair with my Victorian-inspired lace dress. Anyway, you get the idea - old meets new.



I could go on forever on this idea of 'walking contradiction,' but you get the idea. I'm sure everyone can relate, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment